Panasonic Automotive Systems Company of America has just completed an exhibition of its new technologies in support of automated and connected vehicles at the 2014 Intelligent Transport Systems World Congress (ITS) in Detroit last weeek.
In keeping with the 2014 World Congress theme of “Reinventing Transportation in Our Connected World,” Panasonic’s exhibition spotlighted “Technology for the Connected Car and Big Data Solutions”.
“For Panasonic it’s all about the consumer experience and making sure that we find ways to enhance that experience, either through audio enhancements or through safety enhancements inside the vehicle,” said Tom Gebhardt, President of Panasonic Automotive.
Panasonic’s technology for the connected car included:
- Surround view camera with sensing features
- Pelican imaging – camera array and imaging
- Side view cameras
- Intelligent mirrors showing unobstructed view
- 79GHZ radar for infrastructure; millimeter-wave radar sensor with potential application for both side-of-vehicle and infrastructure sensing
- Steering grip sensing technology
Panasonic’s big data solutions featured included:
- Logistics probe solutions using dedicated short range communication (DSRC), On-board Unit (OBU), and GPS, allowing for vehicle-to-vehicle, vehicle-to-person, and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication
- AUPEO! Personal RadioTM audio companion service offering a personalized blend of entertainment and information.